Friday 10 May 2013

Pretty crafty home

Our bedroom is finished!  Paul actually finished wallpapering and painting it before Christmas, I told him it was the best gift he could give me.  The curtains and blind were installed about a month ago so it really feels finished now.  I absolutely love it, it feels like a calm peaceful place to be.  In fact, I have sometimes been found hiding there with a cup of tea, enjoying my own space (and Paul's of course).  I added the mosaic of photos of how it used to look, half stripped and rather ugly, and also one where we were down to bare bricks before the insulation was added.
The room is a mix of new fresh things and old treasures.  The more expensive items were the insulation, the curtains and blind, and the ironing cupboard.  Some of the vintage treasures we thrifted from second hand shops and TradeMe (like Ebay) are the tall mirror, the chair, the thread holder and the china plates.  Inherited treasures are the chest of drawers from Paul's parents and the crystal clock from my mother.  I had written a list here inspired by Sandra at Cherry Heart to make my home prettier and it included purchasing a bookcase for the bedroom and tidying craft supplies.  In the end we didn't buy a new bookcase, Paul was coerced into painting yet another piece of furniture white which breathed new life into an older bookcase and little shelf. I had fun tidying my quilting supplies and magazines in their new home.  I love that I now have my own little sewing supplies corner, pretty and crafty!
I also love the ironing board cupboard; we tend to leave the ironing board out so we can iron most days; now we can tidily fold the ironing board away into it's own cupboard.  For me it was the perfect solution.
I have one question for you, do you think I should leave the old chair as it is or paint it white?  What do you think?
Now where's Paul, I want to tell him about my plans for the lounge!  Wendy xx

27 comments:

  1. Your new look bedroom is lovely Wendy. I like the chair as it is but I can see it would also look lovely painted white. Not much help, am I! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty space! It looks like a great place to relax in. The chair is pretty as it is, but I would probably go for the white, because it would look lovely against the silver-gray wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely! I like the colour of the room, and the chair - White would look nice have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful makeover.
    it really is a lovely space and perfect for hiding.
    Love the chair either way.
    Have fun convincing him to redecorate the lounge..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would leave it as is...it looks like it goes well with the dresser and the bed....an absolutely beautiful room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love,love love it Wendy and I can see why you will go and hide in there sometimes... so pretty and peaceful... the ironing board cupboard is such a great idea.... I would leave the chair as is as there is other pieces of natural wood in there... that's me though... white would look good too!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Wendy it looks beautiful & so serene, yes I can imagine it is a lovely "retreat" for you. I love all your vintage treasures too.
    Now the chair ... hmm it is rather a lovely piece as it is & looks in very good condition - I think either way would look great, it looks rather nice beside your wooden area left as it is but white would also freshen & lighten it up. Sorry bit of indecision there :-) Pat yourselves on the back, your room looks wonderful, hugs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful room Wendy. I would leave the chair as is. Looks lovely next to the dresser and ties in with the bed. Would also look nice white. Have you caught Paul yet or is he still running with his ears covered ;o) hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful makeover Wendy, well worth the wait :) I think the ironing board cupboard is an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a transformation, no wonder you are pleased! It does indeed look very calm and very sleek. Love the ironing board cupboard, I was just wondering what on earth the thin cupboard off the ground was for. Fab job and for my part, I quite like the chair as it is....

    S x

    PS Thanks for the shout out too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations. You have created a beautiful and stylish room that is warm and welcoming too. Hmmmm....the chair could go either way.....but white with a pretty new fabric seat would also look good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow how exciting Wendy,its looks so beautiful and peaceful what a lovely room as for the chair it could go either way as you have a mixture of both in the room,enjoy your room Wendy.xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely relaxing ,soothing bedroom. Love your colour scheme. I have some grey walls in my house with lots of white. I think the chair looks okay as is. Hugs.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Wendy, so lovely & calm & homely, not too cluttered, which is hard to do sometimes I know! I love the chair just the way it is........perfect!Thanks for sharing your home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the new bedroom!! Cushion is sweet. The chair would be nice either as is or white. Great idea for the ironing board.
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful space to dream and relax in.......that ironing board cupboard is fab, I've never seen one that fits in with a bedroom scheme before and the chair is lovely as it is with it's pretty patchwork cushion.

    Kim xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a lovely bedroom! Great result of renovation, I love this combination of whites and old-wooden ones :)
    The chair is perfect as it it, I think.

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Wendy,

    Such a contrast with the before and after shots. Lots of work gone into the new look of your bedroom. Love it. Have you thought of just doing something with the rattan on the chair because the wood looks to be in a wonderful condition.
    Good luck with the next room.

    Happy days.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your bedroom looks beautiful Wendy. The wooden thingie that you've got your cottons on is very cool. I like the chair the way it is and I love the cushion that's on it.
    Corrina

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your room looks fantastic! Love it. I personally wouldn't paint that chair but you could give it a good going over with some beeswax if it hasn't has a gloss varnish over it. Its a lovely oldish chair.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the room transformation, as for the chair I'd probably leave it natural as it ties in with the bed and other bits and pieces in the room as a contrast against all the white:) Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You and Paul have created a very beautiful room.Looks calm and peaceful .I think I would leave the chair,but that's just me,I do love bare wood.
    Hugs Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's beautiful Wendy I've been looking at painting my bedroom a similar colour, Dulux roland or white box , haven't decided yet. Seeing yours I'm deffinitely doing it! What colour did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your room is beautiful Wendy. The grey is soft and calming and I think the white is so fresh against the grey. I like your little sewing nook, such a pretty shelf. xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely bedroom !! I understand you enjoy your place !! I would let the chair as it is like your other furnitures...
    Florence

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Wendy, I absolutely love your room, so pretty! You and Paul have made a beautiful job of it, I've never seen an ironing cupboard like that, what a cool idea. I think the chair looks perfect as it is...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message!