Monday 10 June 2013

Vintage finds, sewing and distractions

Two new vintage finds.  I found the lovely old sewing case at my local second hand shop, at $45 it wasn't cheap so I deliberated for a couple of weeks.  In the end I decided it needed to come home with me! The beautiful little plate I bought at Threadbear Cottage and it is perfect for my rings and earrings at the end of each day.
My finished Vintage Home bag, designed by House on the Hill, so difficult to get a good photograph in the dismal grey light.  I made so many mistakes with cutting out this bag so it has ended up about an inch shorter and an inch slimmer than the pattern.  I'm not sure how I managed that!  I am continuing with my Vignette quilt and have got the next blocks ready for hand stitching. Following Marina's advice I am attempting to work on different projects each week of the month to keep my Vignette progressing!  And in case I run out of things to work on the rest of the month, I have two new projects - Mrs Beasley's sampler quilt from the Vignette magazine and Chateau Hexagon, Lynette Anderson's new button club quilt.  Last night I did most of the cutting for Mrs Beasley's sampler quilt and today attempted to lay out block one.  I say attempted, because I soon gave up thanks to Barney's invasion!  
To be honest, I have been very unmotivated lately and some of that is because of books!  I usually save my reading for holidays as once I start reading I find it hard to do anything else!  But lately I have lapsed and have been enjoying books written by Julie Klassen, in the style of Jane Austen.  I have one more book to read at some stage and then I better return to normal!  Wendy xx

23 comments:

  1. lovely post Wendy with lovely pics,i love your buys and i love your projects,it is good reading weather though snuggled up under a blanket.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treasures galore! Love your Vignette quilt, you are doing good. It's not easy to start new projects............NOT!!! There is something magical about a new project, the fabrics, pattern, the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your sewing basket Wendy and your bag turned out beautuful, I love the colours. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope your vignette quilt progresses well, I so love it and enjoy your version of it.
    Your new little bag is very cute. Good old barney cat scanning the fabrics. I saw a block made up for the Mrs' beasley's quilt and it is a gorgeous project.
    I am afraid reading distracts me totally from other things too.
    enjoy getting your motivation back

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading is as relaxing and enjoyable as sewing, so it's not a bad alternative. I'm sure your motivation will return with such lovely projects to work on. I love your new bag and treasures too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE watching your Vignette quilt grow. Your colours are beautiful, no stunning. Great vintage finds and I also like your new bag. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet new bag, lovely colours.
    Nice finds that basket looks a treasure.
    Enjoy those new projects, maybe try again when your helper is distracted?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous find Wendy, that sewing box is perfect.......you've brightened my morning with your pretty stitching and thrifty goodies.
    Kim xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bag still looks lovely anyway Wendy. Your Vignette quilt is looking gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sewing case. Your projects are lovely. The book looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waow Wendy ! you have made serious progresses on your Vignette quilt !!
    I'm anxiously waiting for the new Vignette magazine because I know how I'm weak and can't wait to start Mrs Beasley's sampler....I know there's no cure for that !! And I'm finishing Fernhill to be "authorized " to start Chateu Hexagone !!!! Of course it will be easier without
    work ( a lot of unpleasant works these days...) and books !!! (I agree!)
    Florence

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's hard to see where you have lost motivation as your bag and quilt are gorgeous! I do love the lace on the bag. I also love the photo of the cat, mind does the same thing! I agree with you about books, I stay away from them. I even find I get caught up looking thru craft mags the same way.
    Enjoy your Tuesday, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your new finds Wendy, and the little bag is so sweet. Like you, I've been reading a lot lately, something I tend to do a bit more at this time of the year. Have a lovely day, Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes Wendy I think I wouldve paid that for the sewing box as it looks in imaculate condition & they dont come along very often now :-)
    Your bag is just beautiful & I love the little mini pom pom trim on the top. But most of all... I love Barney - what a stressfull life that cat leads!!! Hugs, Julie x0x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post.. it's lovely to find gorgeous treasures and I just love the work you have been doing.... nothing wrong with taking a break and doing some good reading!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some wonderful finds , the basket is lovely as are the dishes . Your little bag is darling and if you didn't tell suit was a tad smaller we would never have guessed. Enjoy those books nothing wrong with taking a break to read, good for the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have some lovely treasures there and projects on the go..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your bag and so many gorgeous things to share too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your vintage buys Wendy - I wouldn't have been able to leave the sewing basket there either. Your bag is lovely - no-one will ever know it is a tiny bit smaller than it should be. Yes I thought I would do Mrs Beasleys sampler too - do think about Lynettes button club, but havn't finished her xmas one

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful vintage finds! And your Vintage Home bag is so lovely!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Wendy,

    Great pick ups with the sewing basket and pretty plate. The basket looks to be in excellent condition.Your bag turned out perfectly. I will have to check out that Author, I love reading too.

    Good luck with your sewing projects.

    Happy days.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what a great vintage find, things like that are scarce as hens teeth! You will enjoy it I am sure...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love those sewing baskets, I have an old one too. Love your mascot on the quilt.
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message!