Saturday 24 May 2014

Fastest quilt in the west


Last Sunday I had the opportunity to attend a "fastest quilt in the west" class.  I started with 10 fat quarters and the tutor had bought some examples of her quilts to give us ideas of final layouts.  The morning was spent measuring, then measuring again, then cutting; and after lunch we were finally able to make blocks.  Once all our blocks were made the fun part started, moving them around until we were happy with the layout.  My quilt is for Josh (14 years) who in the last year has shot up to just over 6 feet tall and needs a bigger bed.  I made him a Boys Story quilt in 2011 here and it is now too small!  After trying different block arrangements, the class consensus was the zigzag design as a more boyish look.  I was amazed to get the main part of the quilt sewn together in a day, now it needs some borders to finish it.  I'm thinking they may take longer to do than the first part!
Oh, and look, I made a sock!  Wendy xx

18 comments:

  1. Oh Wendy I love it :-) I just love the colours you have chosen for Josh & the layout you went wit. How exciting to get all that done in a days sewing, sometimes classes are great like that. Your sock looks wonderful but I am a bit worried about the other foot getting cold . . . x0x

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely quilt and I love your layout and colour choice.... I had to go and have another look at your Boys Story and I have my top made and I really must finish it off....
    PS... lovely sock too
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Great colours, perfect for your son. It's a great when a class gets you so motivated.
    I hope the nice sock will get a partner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow.
    Those quilt blocks must be big. Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow love Josh's new quilt. The colour combinations are beautiful.
    Lovely sock too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new quilt Wendy - what a great class

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maximum impact with that layout. Great start on the bigger quilt.
    Cool sock, I'm it'll have a partner soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Wendy,you always make such beautiful things.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous way to make a quick quilt. Love the sock too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It will make a splendid boyish quilt !!
    Bravo for the sock !!
    Florence

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is fast, and a great design too. I hope your sock is getting a partner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it, blue and brown look fabulous together. Fab sock too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that sounds like a fun class and your quilt is gorgeous ! Love the sock too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt is wonderful, Wendy. I'm sure Josh is going to love it. Love the sock too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful Wendy... Love your fabrics. Cute sock xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great boys quilt cant believe it took just one day! Knitting a pair of socks is on my one day list so I'm very impressed and the stripey wool is great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely quilt! So cosy!
    The sock is cute too :)

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wendy, this quilt is gorgeous and looks just perfect for your young chappie. Love those colours :-) Cool sock - you'll have been needing it this past week! (and its mate!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message!