Saturday 6 June 2015

Myrtle and Mary Rebecca

 

Let me introduce the two latest additions to my handmade wardrobe: Myrtle and Mary Rebecca.

Firstly, Myrtle is a Colette Patterns design for knit fabrics.  I have had this pattern in my stash since it was released in July last year so I am pleased to have finally used it.  The fabric I used is a rayon knit bought on impulse at a Spotlight sale for only $22.48!  I am so pleased I got the fabric, it was easy to work with and has such a nice drape.  I made the medium size and added a couple of inches to the length of the skirt.  I didn't manage to match the stripes on the bodice side seams very well but I am so pleased with the matching on the skirt side and back seams.
The only alteration I made was to omit the elasticated waist.  The way the casing for the elastic is made takes length from the skirt and I just didn't want it any shorter plus I wasn't sure the elasticated waistband would suit me.  So my dress is more shapeless than the pattern picture but I like it with a belt.
This was a quick and easy make, taking only about 2-3 hours and the instructions were very easy to follow as Colette Patterns always are.  I would definitely recommend it.

Second is my Mary Rebecca cardigan.  This was a quick make too, taking just over 3 weeks, helped by the 10 ply yarn and 5 mm needles.  The yarn is 100% wool by Quince and Co. bought from Holland Road Yarn company.  It was lovely to knit with and is so warm to wear.  I made it exactly as the pattern apart from lengthening the arms by 2.5".  I stabilized the button bands with gingham ribbon by using this tutorial here.  Mary Rebecca is another pattern I would recommend, nice to knit and I love the look and fit.

I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend, Wendy xx

14 comments:

  1. You are son lever Wendy, not just at sewing but choosing fabrics and patterns to suit. Your new outfit looks great. I think the dress could be worn for many different occasions, just with a change of accessories, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I hope you know I meant so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful makes for your wardrobe. love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful new ensemble! I love the addition of the belt and boots, I guess it would work well in warmer weather too with strappy shoes. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new dress...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful outfit and beautifully made Wendy. You look great in it. Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dress Wendy and it goes really well with your new cardi, you are very clever! :) Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love them both so much Wendy - that colour really suits you & the outfit looks great with your boots. I also love the autumn colour & the light going on behind you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great outfit! Love the dress and the cardi together. Great the way you stabilised the cardi with the gingham.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your Mary Rebecca. It looks perfect with the new frock.
    Enjoy all the stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Wendy,

    You look stunning in your new outfits.I do love how the you have added the stabiliser to the cardigan. Thanks so much for the link to the wool.



    Happy days.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous Wendy - your outfits look beautiful on you - you've done a fabulous job on them... it seems like you are nailing this Handmade Wardrobe challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are very clever Wendy...so lovely x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message!