Sunday 14 December 2014

Catching up


December already, where did November go?  

I have been working on my summer-wardrobe sewing but this was interrupted when Colette Patterns released their new pattern, the Dahlia dress.  I had some red fabric from years ago and I thought it would make a perfect Dahlia.  It is a polyester crepe I think, it has no give to it at all but it drapes nicely.  I made an American size 10 and graded up to size 12 at the waist and hips although ended up trimming this off again.  I also added 5" to the length.  This was the first time I used my dressmakers dummy properly, fitting the bodice to it as I went along.  I have narrow shoulders so I ended up adding a dart on the shoulder and removed some of the fullness from the raglan seams.  I realized later that the top of the bodice was meant to be gathered (somehow I missed that step) and this would have taken up some of the fullness that I removed.  I finished the neckline and sleeves with a purchased bias binding in a maroon colour and I quite like the little contrast it gives.  I really love this dress and I think it will be great under layers for autumn and winter too.

Charlie had requested a crochet bunting when she saw the one I made for my room here.  It is finished and the cream looks pretty against her pink walls.  By the way, why do cats insist on sitting on wool when it's blocking?

I have also been keeping at my Chateau Hexagon, stitching away on the last block.  

The tree is trimmed, the house is decorated.  Just some last minute gift-making and shopping to go ... it's beginning to feel like Christmas!  Wendy xx

17 comments:

  1. very pretty dress, you have a real flare for dress making. I loved the last crochet bunting, it adds a lovely soft feminine touch to a room.I bet Charlies room looks fabulous. Glad you are making progress on your CH through all the Christmas chores you have to do. Do you see i finally finished mine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress looks great and the bunting is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dresss looks lovely. The crochet bunting looks beautiful hanging at the window.

    Great that you are on your last block. I have only finished two blocks sew far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy - very pretty pics in your catch-up post - and lots of lovely sewing - I love your new dress, you look like a model!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wendy your dress looks fantastic,love your crochet bunting too,and wow your block looks fantastic,yep this year will be over before we know it.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished the muslin for my dahlia and did the same thing! Looking at pictures of completed ones, I think the flat neckline looks cleaner and I'm happy I accidentally did it! Beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dress, it looks like one you would make again, and such a pretty colour. Christmas is coming fast here too, I love celebrating once it is actually December!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dress looks great, Wendy. The bunting does look pretty against the pink of Charlie's room. Your Chateau is getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the dress is looking lovely... well done and I do like your pretty bunting.... of course I have always loved the chateau pictures....

    Hard to believe just how fast the time is going....

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done on your beautiful dress...you have done a wonderful job! Love your very pretty bunting too. Nice to be on the last block xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your new dress Wendy, I am always in awe of all your dressmaking makes. The new bunting looks gorgeous in Charlies room, I love that pattern. Have enjoyed watching your progress with Chateau hexagon throughout the year. Lovely progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wendy, not sure if you realise but you have the robot widget on your blog settings, it seems to be popping up on a few blogs lately. I just clicked on Publish without going through the widget & my comment publised okay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pretty dress Wendy, and such a gorgeous color. The bunting is so cute as well

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Wendy,

    Merry Christmas to you and your family. The Dahlia dress looks just perfect on you. Getting things to fit perfectly is half the battle. Love the new bunting, Charlie has good taste.

    Happy days.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Wendy,

    Your new dress is fabulous and will be great for summer and I see you under the umbrella - we have had a lot of rain here too. Love the bunting.
    Happy weekend and hope you have some sunshine there
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely dress and cute bunting.
    Enjoy your Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your dress is gorgeous Wendy - it looks beautiful on you and I love the colour! The dressmakers' dummy looks like a fabulous tool for getting a good fit and altering patterns, etc, as necessary!! I love the bunting too and well done on your progress on Chateau Hexagon! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a message!